Healthy Diet Food: Fabulous Fish
Don't ignore fish when you are planning your weekly diet. Fish is a fabulous food - lots of variety in taste and texture, versatile and low in saturated fat. It's also low in calories - the perfect healthy diet food.
Aim to include a fish dish in your diet at least twice a week - and more is better!
- Oily fish (Mackerel, Herring, Sardines) contain Omega-3
fatty acids, a type of polyunsaturated fat which can help to
reduce total blood cholesterol. Omega-3 in the diet protects
the heart and circulation and may reduce the risk of heart
disease and certain cancers.
- Medical studies have shown that Omega-3 oils play an
important part in aiding the development of our brains.
- Sea food contains an abundance of essential minerals -
iron, zinc, iodine and selenium.
- Fish is a good source of Vitamins helping to maintain
healthy nerve tissues, strong bones and teeth and a glowing
- Fish is a low fat and/or good fat source of protein,
essential for the healthy growth and maintenance of muscles
and body tissues.
- As well as your brain, your love life could benefit from eating sea food as part of a healthy diet. Shellfish such as oysters have a reputation for acting as an aphrodisiac!
Fish - Healthy Diet Food
|Haddock, Smoked, Raw (1 Serving/85g)||58|
|Lobster, Boiled (1 Serving/85g)||88|
|Prawns, Peeled (1 Serving/100g)||99|
|Herring, Grilled (1 Serving/85g)||154|
|Trout Rainbow, Raw (1 Serving/150g)||202|
|Scampi, Whole (1 Serving/100g)||229|
|Mackerel in Tomato Sauce (1 Can/125g)||254|
|Salmon, Fresh (1 Serving/163g)||290|
Try some of our Flavoursome Low Calorie Recipes for Fabulous Fish
If you'd like to have a closer look and see how healthy your diet is, have a look at the tools and databases in Weight Loss Resources. You can check if your diet is balanced, how many calories you eat (and how many you need!), track how many servings of fruit and veg you eat in a day, and look up the calorie, protein, carbohydrate, fat and fibre content of over 20,000 foods. Try it free.
H.E.A.R.T. - The Cholesterol Charity
HEART UK supports all those at risk of inherited high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease. www.heartuk.org.uk