Top Ten Weight Loss Tips
by those who've done it!
Weight Loss Resources members share the secrets of their success in our Top Ten Tips list. The list represents important ideas that come up time after time when members tell us about their weight loss success.
- Don't cut out all the food you enjoy. I like the
occasional takeaway, but now I save up calories to have one or
earn it. If I restricted myself to just fruit and veg I'd give
up very quickly. I also found that I could still eat my
favourite foods if I 'tweak' them a bit: low fat cheese, low fat
spread instead of butter, light mozzarella etc. Also the best
thing I did was get olive oil spray! Sara
- Write everything down. Even (or especially) on
bad/splurge days. It’s only if you write things down that you
know what you are doing. I’m not saying don’t have the Peking
Duck. I am saying, at least know what having the Peking Duck
- I find sticking a wedding invitation or holiday photograph of destinations I want to visit in a prominent place in the
kitchen. This is a bit more subtle than a fat photograph of
yourself and reminds you when you are tempted. Laura
- Use scales in the kitchen - it's amazing how easy it
is to deceive oneself! Mary
- I think it is a good idea to buy some new clothes when
you are down a size or two. That way, you are reminded of what
you have achieved and not to go back to old sizes. Chuck out the
old stuff or give it away. Steve
- Life is too short so build in treats! Ok my weight
loss is nice and slow but I don’t feel like I am on a diet or
that I am depriving myself of anything (including chocolate and
cheese. Lol!!!) Daniela
- Be honest with yourself. Ok, if you go over the
required cals, but keep a record, it's the average calorie
intake that matters. Colin
- It is not rocket science, but I am convinced that exercising is the key to success with sustained weight loss.
I try to vary my routine, including the cross trainer and walking regularly, and cycling and swimming occasionally. Rob
- Always measure alcohol consumed at home carefully, as
it is easy to fool yourself. Maureen
- Don’t ever give up! You are going to get bad
days/weeks; it happens! Just get straight back on it and limit
the damage. Joanna
- Bonus Tip - my only tip really is to join up for the WLR 24 hour free trial and see for yourself. Everyone seems to adapt the site to their needs and if it works for me (never had much willpower and exercise was a bad word) then it has to be worth a try for everyone trying to lose either a few or a lot of kilos. Sarah
Try Weight Loss Resources motivational tools and articles to help you lose weight. Learn to identify problem areas and get the motivation you need to lose weight. Try it free for 24 hours.
More Weight Loss Tips
New research shows eating eggs for breakfast could result in a 2lb a month weight loss
New research shows that calcium, in particular milk and dairy products, can be an aid to weight loss.
Dietitian Juliette Kellow gives her weight loss motivation tips
Is the key to successful weight loss all in the mind? WLR’s Helen Griffiths gets the views of psychologist David Moxon and nutrition expert Dr Christine Fenn.
Gaining weight seems to be a likely side effect of giving up smoking - but there are things you can do to minimise weight gain, here's the why and how.
Helen Griffiths gives the why, what and how of using aromatherapy to beat the weight loss blues.