Success Story - Kim Rooney
I started losing weight at the end of August 2016 and finished at the end of January 2017. So it took five months at a rate of 1lb a week (most weeks, some weeks 2lbs and some weeks scales did not register any loss) but mainly 1lb a week.
I didn't keep a record of the inch loss along the way.
I was overweight as a young child and yo-yo dieted all my life.
In primary school I was teased by other children for being overweight which resulted in low self esteem and me just eating all the more. My overweight was always caught up with not having my emotional needs met but nowadays my emotional needs are being met. I have found much more healthier ways to deal with my emotions and I don't need to overeat anymore which only resulted in a weight problem anyway.
I used to think that losing weight meant eating very little
but by making healthy choices it is possible to eat lots of the right types of food, not go hungry and still lose weight. WLR taught me I could eat the food I liked and that no food was banned. As long as I stayed within my calorie quota, and got my portion sizes correct it was possible to have a few treats and enjoy my weight loss journey.
This time I was determined to get it right.
I joined WLR in 2012 and did lose weight but with unresolved issues the weight went back on again. This time I was determined to get it right. The issues have been dealt with and I got myself a mentor which I found was of great help to me. My mentor would phone once a week to talk about my diet and exercise plans.
For anyone who needs a bit of extra support I would recommend the WLR mentoring service.
I was 11 stone at the end of August 2016 and today I now weigh 9 stone which I am very happy about as I am 5ft 1". So it is a healthy weight for my height and frame.
My life has changed a great deal since losing the weight.
There is the obvious joy of being a size 12 and I am now taking more pride in my appearance. I am starting to wear dresses and skirts and also dressy trousers as I was always wearing jeans. They have their place but not all the time!
I feel the real Kim has started to emerge.
However my life has changed a great deal more, than just clothes. I feel the real Kim has started to emerge. The slim Kim is who I really am. I have joined a walking group and my network of friends is getting bigger. I have a lot more confidence and I continue to make healthier choices in all areas of my life and not just my weight.
For those who want to lose weight I do recommend WLR as they are a great support. Both the Help Team and the forums.
Choose a diet that is right for you and that fits in with your lifestyle.
- Don't compare it to someone elses as everyone is different and what might work for them might not work for you.
- It has to be a diet you enjoy and is sustainable when it comes to maintaining your weight.
- The same goes for your choice of exercises.
- Set yourself a realistic time frame and be patient.
- A healthy rate of 1 to 2lbs a week is good.
- Also recognise that this is a lifestyle change and not a temporary fix.
- It means making the necessary changes to your lifestyle that will indeed keep the weight off for good!
Lots of people have achieved their weight loss success using the tools, information and support that WLR has to offer. But don't take our word for it – take a free trial and see for yourself.
* Note: The success stories published on Weight Loss Resources are written by WLR members, past and present, telling their own stories in their own words. As you will see if you read more than one or two of them, everyone's story is different and they have reached their success from a variety of starting points and lost weight at varying rates. Individual results may vary.