By the wlr team
A great rice dish for both flavour and texture, freezes well and spinach is soooo good for you. This recipe also contains 1.2 portions of the recommended 5-a-day fruit and veg per serving.
- Recipe makes: 4 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Calories: 227
- 90g onions
- 60g carrots
- 1 garlic clove
- 80g green chilli pepper
- 150g baby spinach
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 150g basmati rice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 20g flaked almonds
Preheat oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4 / 350°F
- Peel and slice the onions and carrots. Peel and crush the garlic. Prepare the chillies, deseed and finely chop.
- Rinse the spinach & boil in a small amount of water for 10 minutes. Drain well, chop roughly and leave to one side.
- Bring a large pan of slightly salted water to the boil, add rice, cover and let simmer for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir fry onion, garlic, and chilli in oil over a moderate heat for about 5 minutes (or until onion is softened). Stir in carrot and continue to stir fry for one minute. Add turmeric & ginger and stir fry for further minute. Remove from heat.
- Strain rice in a colander and rinse with boiling water. Transfer rice to an oven proof dish (with a lid), stir in vegetable and spice mixture until evenly distributed. Lightly stir in spinach.
- Put lid on dish and put in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Gently stir in flaked almonds just before serving.
|Fruit & Veg||1.2|
You can use the tools in Weight Loss Resources to look up the calorie and fat content of over 50,000 foods. Make your own low fat healthy recipes and keep track of the calories. Try it free for 24 hours.