Low GI Mushroom, Barley and Beef Soup
By the wlr team
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 50 mins
- Calories: 241
- 50g red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 450g button mushrooms
- 1 celery stalk
- 25g carrot
- 3 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 225g beef mince, extra lean
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 850ml beef stock
- 700ml water
- 110g pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 x 450g can black beans
- Peel the onion. Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
- Chop the onion, carrot and celery. Slice the mushrooms
- Chop the thyme if using fresh.
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- Place a heavy based pan over a high heat, add the oil and cook the beef until it is no longer pink.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until soft. Add the mushroom, celery, carrot and thyme and cook for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the tomato puree, vinegar, salt and pepper and stir the mixture until the vegetable are thoroughly coated.
- Add the stock, water, pearl barley and bay leaf and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 45 minutes or until the barley is tender.
- Add the drained beans and heat through.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve
As an alternative you can substitute the pearl barley for a soup and both mixture which should be cooked beforehand according to the packet instructions. Turkey mince would make a low fat alternative to the beef.
|Fruit & Veg||2.4|
WLR has an extensive range of low-fat and low calorie recipes to help you follow a healthy, balanced diet. Try it free for 24 hours.