Low GI Glazed Apple Tart
By WLR's Food Information Executive, Laurence Beeken
- 5oz/140g Almonds, Whole, Average
- 360g Apples, Cooking, Weighed with Skin & Core, Average
- 1.6 Slices/40g Bread, Wholemeal, Average
- 1 Tsp/3g Cinnamon, Ground, Average
- 2 Lg Eggs/66g Eggs, Whites Only, Raw, Average
- 4oz/112g Sauce, Apple, Unsweetened, Average
- 1 Egg/55.9g Eggs, Omega 3
- 2 Tbsps/4g Sweetener, Canderel
- ¼Tsp/1g Almond, Extract
- 2 Servings/40g Jam, Apricot, Reduced Sugar, Average
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (400°F, Gas Mark 6).
- Peel and core 2 medium apples.
- Toast the almonds - place the almonds on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden and fragrant. Remove from the oven and cool. Leave the oven on.
- Finely grind the cooled almonds in a food processor and then transfer to a bowl.
- Place the wholemeal bread into the food processor and grind to fine crumbs.
- Add the bread crumbs to the bowl and ½ tsp of the cinnamon, tossing to combine.
- Stir in the egg whites.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of a 20cm (8in) pie dish and return to the oven for 10 minutes until the pie crust is set.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Whisk together the apple sauce, whole egg, sweetener, remaining cinnamon and almond extract and spread the mixture over the cooled pie crust.
- Turn the oven up to 200°C (400°F, Gas Mark 6).
- Slice the apples into crescents and arrange the pieces in circles over the apple sauce mixture.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Remove from the oven, brush with jam and leave to cool.
Serve with a low fat vanilla ice cream.