Low GI Cranberry and Cinnamon Bran Muffins
Nutritious and with a high fibre content, Muffins are great to make if you are inexperienced in the kitchen, as you can literally throw it all together.
- Recipe makes: 12 muffins
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Calories: 175
- 45g wheat bran
- 25g all bran
- ¼ tsp salt
- 120ml water, boiling
- 240ml skimmed milk
- 150g dried cranberries
- 75g sweetener
- 1 egg
- 60ml sunflower oil
- 140g wholemeal flour
- 1¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 190°C / Gas Mark 5 / 375°F
- Line a muffin tray with individual paper cases.
- Preheat the oven.
- In a bowl, combine the bran, cereal and salt. Pour over boiling water and stir to combine.
- Stir in the milk and cranberries and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the sweetener, egg and oil. Stir this into the bran mixture.
- In another (large) bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and add the bran mixture, folding the two together until you have a gooey mix.
- Divide the mixture into the muffin cases.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden and spring back when pressed with your finger tip.
Cool on a wire rack before serving - if you can wait that long!
|Fruit & Veg||0.2|
WLR has an extensive range of low-fat and low calorie recipes to help you follow a healthy, balanced diet. Try it free for 24 hours.