Spicy Bean No Meat Meatloaf Recipe
Who’s ever heard of no meat meatloaf? Low in calories and full of beans this recipe is delicious served with some mash potatoes and steamed veg. Save leftovers to have as an extra tasty sandwich filling.
- Recipe makes: 4 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 1 hr
- Calories: 338
- 1 medium onion
- 2 celery stalk
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 400g tinned black beans
- 400g tinned red kidney beans
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 80g breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
Preheat oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4 / 350°F
- Line a loaf tin with baking parchment - with a 4cm overhang to make it easier to get the loaf out after cooking.
- Finely chop the onion, celery, carrot and red pepper, and gently fry in the oil until onions are translucent.
- Add the crushed garlic, cumin, coriander and chilli and stir over the heat for about a minute, then remove from the heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Drain both cans of beans and add around two thirds of each type to a food processor (reserve the remaining beans).
- Add the tomato puree and lemon juice to the processor, and process until smooth. Season to taste.
- Stir the fried vegetables and remaining whole beans into the mixture, along with the breadcrumbs and the lightly beaten egg.
- Put the mixture evenly into the prepared loaf tin. Bake in the oven for about an hour.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes before taking out and slicing up to serve.
This is nice with the accompaniments you would normally have with fajitas: a dollop of low fat Greek yoghurt (instead of sour cream), some fresh tomato salsa and (if you can spare the calories) a little guacamole. Yum! This is great to eat hot or cold. Keep leftovers in the fridge for a tasty sandwich filling.
|Fruit & Veg||4.1|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Vegetarians
You'll find hundreds more recipes for yummy vegetarian dishes in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite veggie meals, give it a try!