Mexican Rice And Bean Casserole Recipe
Fancy some Mexican food for dinner but don’t fancy the classic fajitas? Try this Mexican rice and bean casserole that’s sure to be a hit with the family! The recipe makes 6 servings so is the perfect dish for entertaining friends. At only 177 calories per serving you can enjoy a filling hearty meal without worrying about what you’re eating!
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 40 mins
- Calories: 177
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 green peppers
- 80g mushrooms
- 120ml water
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 140g long grain rice
- 180g red kidney beans, drained weight
- ½ x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 6g cumin seeds
- 110g reduced fat Mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4 / 350°F
- Prepare and finely chop the onion, garlic and green peppers
- Wipe and slice the mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil with water over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms and green peppers. Simmer, stirring often, until onion is tender. (About 10 minutes)
- Add rice, beans, tomatoes, chilli powder and cumin. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15 minutes.
Cook up a big batch of this recipe and place in the fridge or freezer for quick ready meals throughout the week.
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
|Fruit & Veg||1.8|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Vegetarians
You'll find hundreds more recipes for yummy vegetarian dishes in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite veggie meals, give it a try!