Chana Daal & Squash Curry Recipe
By the wlr team
This low calorie vegetarian curry is full of veg and legumes that will keep you fuller for longer. A wintery, Indian spiced curry that makes a fantastic meal, serve with rice or naan bread.
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
8 hrs 30 mins
- Cook time: 32 mins
- Calories: 265
- 175g yellow split peas
- 450ml water
- 56g tamarind pulp
- 450g butternut squash
- 60ml vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium green chilli peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp root ginger
- 28g fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 20g fresh coriander leaves
- Cook the split peas in the water according to the packet instructions, remembering that they will need soaking the night before.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tamarind by placing the pulp into boiling water (4 fl oz/120ml to 2 oz/56g pulp) and leaving for 15 minutes or longer. When softened, strain through a sieve and discard the pulp, keeping the juice.
- When the peas are soft (but not mushy) put to one side. Do not drain.
- Peel, de-seed and cube the squash.
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and soften the onion along with the chillies, garlic, ginger, and curry leaves. Add the chilli powder, salt and turmeric and fry for 1-2 minutes before adding the squash.
- Add the split peas and their cooking water to the mixture, then add the tamarind juice, tomatoes and chopped coriander. Simmer until the squash is cooked.
Serve with plain boiled rice.
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
|Fruit & Veg||2.5|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Vegetarians
You'll find hundreds more recipes for yummy vegetarian dishes in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite veggie meals, give it a try!