Aubergine Gratin Recipe
With 7 of your 5 a day incorporated, this lovely low calorie vegetarian gratin will be sure to fill you up for the evening! If you’re a strict vegetarian or vegan, you’ll need to leave out the parmesan and maybe sprinkle some dairy free cheese on top instead!
- Recipe makes: 2 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 50 mins
- Calories: 203
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion
- 1 medium aubergine
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 20g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 courgette
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp white sugar
- ¼ tsp tabasco sauce
- 10g grated parmesan cheese
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
Preheat oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4 / 350°F
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the diced onion, and fry on a medium heat until they are soft and golden.
- Place the sliced aubergine into a colander and season with salt. Leave to drain.
- Crush the garlic and add to the onions, along with the mixed herbs.
- Add sliced mushrooms and courgette, cook for 5 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Add the chopped tomatoes with a dash of water. Mix in and simmer over a medium heat until reduced.
- Whilst these are cooking, rinse the aubergine slices with water, press moisture out with kitchen roll and add to a hot frying pan which has been lightly sprayed with oil. Brown on both sides and set aside.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Add the sugar and tabasco now if you're using it.
- Layer the aubergine with a thin covering of sauce. Keep layering until you get to the top layer of sauce, then cover it with a layer of courgette and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes until lightly browned.
|Fruit & Veg||7.3|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Vegetarians
You'll find hundreds more recipes for yummy vegetarian dishes in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite veggie meals, give it a try!