Spinach & Cauliflower Bake Recipe
With almost all of your 5 a day and over 8 grams of fibre, this spinach and cauliflower bake is the perfect healthy meal to serve family and friends. Serve up with a crispy salad and some low fat dressing, or some garlic bread if you’ve got spare calories!
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 45 mins
- Calories: 479
- 4 Cloves/12g Garlic, Raw, Average
- 1 Tbsp/15ml Oil, Olive, Extra Virgin, Average
- 700g Passata, Average
- ¼ Tsp/1.25g Salt, Table, Average
- ¼ Tsp/0.5g Pepper, Black, Freshly Ground, Average
- 850ml Milk, Semi Skimmed, Average
- 50g Flour, Plain, Average
- 45g Spread, Low Fat, Average
- 1 Tsp/5g Mustard, Dijon, Average
- 100g Cheese, Cheddar, Reduced Fat, Average
- 1 Serving/30g Cheese, Danish Blue, Average
- ½ Tsp/1.5g Nutmeg, Ground, Average
- 250g Penne, Dry, Average
- 1000g Cauliflower, Raw, Average
- 750g Spinach, Frozen, Average
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, Gas Mark 6)
2. Prepare the tomato sauce:
Slice 3 cloves of garlic and cook in 1 tbsp olive oil for 1 min, then add the passata. Season, half-cover the pan and simmer for 20 mins until thick.
3. Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce.
Put the milk, flour and 2 tbsp of the spread into a pan. Heat, whisking non-stop, until smooth, then bubble for 3 mins, stirring, then stir in the mustard, most of the cheddar, half the blue cheese and half the nutmeg.
4. Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, and cook the cauliflower until tender (approx 8 mins). Drain, reserving 2 tbsp cooking water.
5. Melt the remaining 1 tbsp spread in a pan, add the whole garlic clove, spinach, remaining nutmeg, salt and ground black pepper. Stir for 2 mins, then remove the garlic clove.
6. Set aside 300ml cheese sauce and mix the rest with the cauliflower and pasta. Place half the tomato sauce into a deep pasta dish and top with some spinach. Fill with cauliflower mix, top with more spinach, then the rest of the tomato sauce. Top with the cheese sauce and remaining cheese.
7. Place in the oven for 18-20 mins until golden and bubbling.
Good with green salad or garlic bread.
|Fruit & Veg||4.7|
More Calorie Counted Veg Dishes
You'll find hundreds more recipes for vegetables in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourites, give it a try!