By the wlr team
Shepherd's pie is the ultimate comfort food! Enjoy this meat-free version full of lentils, mushrooms and veggie goodness. High in protein and fibre - this recipe really packs a healthy punch with 6 portions of veg.
Suitable for Vegetarians and Vegans
- Recipe makes: 2 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 35 mins
- Calories: 526
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 100g mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10 sprays sunflower oil
- 1 can lentils, drained
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 3 tbsp gravy granules
- 85g peas, frozen
- 150g green beans
- 20g low fat non dairy spread
- 30ml almond milk
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Peel the potatoes, cut into small chunks and place in a large saucepan. Cover with salted water and bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until softened.
- Dice the carrots, onion, mushrooms and crush garlic. Spray a large non stick pan with oil and add the onion and carrots. Fry for a few minutes until onion starts to soften slightly. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add in the lentils and chopped mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, stir and cook for a few minutes. Meanwhile boil the kettle and make up enough gravy to cover the vegetables in the pan (you want the gravy to be quite thick)
- Preheat the grill to a medium high heat.
- Pour the gravy over the lentils mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes until sauce begins to really thicken, add the peas and stir to mix everything together.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and steam the green beans.
- Pour the lentil mixture into an ovenproof dish. Mash the potatoes with non dairy spread and almond milk, add a pinch of salt and pepper and top the lentil mixture. Place dish under a grill until mash is golden and crispy on top.
Looking for a low calorie menu plan for a vegan diet? Take a look at our 7-day Vegan Diet Plan... these recipes will help give you some great meal ideas without busting your calorie count.
|Fruit & Veg||6.0|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Vegetarians
You'll find hundreds more recipes for yummy vegetarian dishes in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite veggie meals, give it a try!