By the wlr team
Shakshuka might not be a dish very well known to everyone, but this Mediterranean staple is a tasty, versatile recipe which can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It's high in protein, and a great dish to share with family and friends.
Suitable for Vegetarians
- Recipe makes: 2 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Calories: 510
- 1 small onion
- 1 red chilli
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10 basil leaves
- 10 sprays sunflower oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 cans tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 pitta breads
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Finely chop the onion, de-seed and finely chop the chilli and crush the garlic. Roughly chop basil leaves.
- Heat the spray oil in a large pan and fry the onion, chilli and garlic until soft add in the paprika, cumin and a pinch of salt and pepper, stir through. Stir in the canned tomatoes and chickpeas, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- After 5 minutes check the seasoning, and add a little sugar if the tomatoes are still a little bitter. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Using the back of a large spoon make 2 dips in the tomato sauce; crack an egg into each one. Cover the pan and cook on low for 6-8 minutes until the eggs are poached to your liking.
- Season the eggs, scatter basil leaves on top and serve with pita bread.
*If you like even more heat add some cayenne pepper.
If eggs are a favourite for quick, filling and easy meals - take a look at some of our popular egg based low calorie recipes:
- Skinny Eggs Benedict - Only 150 calories per serving
- Vegetable Frittata - High in protein and easy to batch cook for breakfasts or lunches on the go
- Tomato and Black Olive Quiche - A low calorie way to have an indulgent favourite
Having a couple of eggs for breakfast can help with your weight loss efforts - Research from the Rochester Centre for Obesity showed it can help you limit your calories by up to 400 per day...
|Fruit & Veg||7.4|
More Quick & Easy Calorie Counted Recipes
You can take your choice from hundreds more quick and easy recipes in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite recipes, give it a try!