Chocolate Orange Sponge Cake Recipe
By the wlr team
Have a good week and save some calories up for this recipe. Treat yourself once in a while to this low fat, low calorie cake, this recipe makes 10 servings so invite some friends round and indulge.
- Recipe makes: 10 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 35 mins
- Calories: 154
- 28g plain flour
- 1 tbsp dry unsweetened cocoa powder
- 30g cornflour
- 5 large eggs
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 112g caster sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 large egg - whites only
- 75ml water
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
Preheat oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4 / 350°F
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, cornflour and a pinch of salt together.
- Beat the 5 egg whites together in a large clean bowl until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and then whisk until soft peak stage.
- Add the caster sugar a spoonful at a time and whisk for a minute after each addition. Sift a third of the cocoa/flour mixture over the meringue and fold in. Repeat twice more.
- Spoon the mixture into a non stick mould (ring or cake tin, depending on your preference) and bake for 35 minutes or so until the top is lightly spring and a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn upside down on a wire rack and leave to cool in the tin. Remove the tin when cool.
- Make the icing using the caster sugar, egg white and water. Put the caster sugar and water in a pan over a low heat and stir until dissolved. Boil until the mixture reaches 120°C (250°F) on a sugar thermometer or a small piece makes a soft ball when dropped into a cup of water. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk the egg white in a clean bowl until at soft peak stage, then drizzle in the sugar syrup, whisking all the time until the mixture is thick and fluffy.
- Spread the icing over the cake and leave to cool.
|Fruit & Veg||0.0|
More Calorie Counted Sweet Things
You'll find hundreds more recipes for cakes, puddings and sweet treats in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite sweet things, give it a try!