Apple Cinnamon Muffins Recipe
A quick and easy recipe for low calorie apple and cinnamon muffins make a deliciously tasty treat. Try one with a banana and a glass of milk for breakfast - as in our Get Slim for Spring diet plan.
- Recipe makes: 12 muffins
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 15 mins
- Calories: 175
- 245g wholemeal flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 apples
- ½ tsp salt
- 75ml extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 75g low fat Greek yoghurt
- 75g unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp Demerara sugar
Preheat oven to 220°C / Gas Mark 7 / 425°F
- NOTE: If you have a decent non-stick muffin tin you can cook the muffins directly in this, if you're not so confident then use a little spray oil to lightly grease the cups (oil not included in recipe)
- Peel both apples, then grate one and dice the other.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Mix together, then add the grated and chopped apple and stir to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the oil and maple with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat until smooth, then add the yogurt, applesauce and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour the wet mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon to make a thick batter (don't worry about a few lumps)
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with the demerara sugar.
- Bake in the oven for approx 15 minutes, or until the muffins are golden on top - insert a skewer (or fork) into a muffin, if it comes out clean they are cooked, if still sticking bake for a further 2 minutes and check again.
- Leave the muffins in the tin to cool, then carefully (with non stick utensil) pop them out.
- Muffins keep well for 2 days at room temperature, or for 4 days in the fridge. Can also be frozen.
|Fruit & Veg||0.3|
More Calorie Counted Sweet Things
You'll find hundreds more recipes for cakes, puddings and sweet treats in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite sweet things, give it a try!