Low Calorie Summer Pudding
By the wlr team
A sweet, freash and healthy summer pudding that’s low in calories and low in fat. Better still this recipe counts towards your 5 a day and, for how impressive it looks, is very easy to make. Keep in mind that your actual prep time will only be about 20 minutes, the rest of the time is just for chilling.
- Recipe makes: 8 servings
- Prep time:
6 hrs 20 mins
- Cook time: 10 mins
- Calories: 175
- 300g strawberries
- 250g blackberries
- 100g redcurrants
- 500g raspberries
- 175g golden caster
- 7 thin slices white bread
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Wash and gently dry the fruit on kitchen towel - keep the strawberries separate. Put sugar and 3 tbsp water into a large pan and gently heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil for 1 min, then add in the fruit (except the strawberries). Cook for 3 mins over a low heat, until softened, stirring occasionally. Put a sieve over a bowl and tip in the fruit and juice.
- Line a pudding basin with cling film, allowing the edges to overhang by about 15cm. Cut the crusts off the bread. Cut 4 pieces of bread in half then cut 2 slices into 4 triangles each and leave the final piece whole.
- Dip the whole piece of bread into the fruit juice to coat then place this into the bottom of the basin. Now dip the rectangular pieces one at a time and press around the basin's sides so that they fit together neatly but don't worry if you can't fit the last piece of bread in - just trim into a triangle, dip in juice and slot in. Spoon in the softened fruit, adding in the strawberries through the mixture.
- Dip the bread triangles in juice and place on top - trim off overhang with scissors. Keep leftover juice for later. Bring cling film up and loosely seal. Put a side plate on top and weight down. Chill for 6 hrs or overnight.
To serve, open out cling film then put a serving plate upside-down on top and flip over. Serve with leftover juice, any extra berries and cream. (remember to add the extra calories if using cream)
|Fruit & Veg||1.9|
More Calorie Counted Puddings and Desserts
You'll find hundreds more recipes for delish desserts and puddings in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite puds, give it a try!