Spicy Veggie & Lentil Soup - Gluten Free Recipe
By the wlr team
This healthy soup is full of healing spices that will leave you feeling full and nourishes. Packed full of veg this recipe gives you 8 of your 5 a day in one serving.
- Recipe makes: 3 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Calories: 392
- 180g curly kale
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 juiced lemon
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 made up vegetable stock cubes
- 264g tinned green or brown lentils
- 240g tinned chick peas
- 1 pinch dried chilli flakes
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Remove ribs from kale and chop. Peel onions and carrots and chop. Mince garlic cloves. Juice lemon. Set all aside.
- Warm olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook, stirring often until onions have softened and translucent (about 5 minutes). Add garlic, cumin, curry powder, and thyme. Cook until fragrant while stirring constantly (about 30 seconds). Add tomatoes and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring often to enhance flavor.
- Add vegetable stock, lentils, chick peas, salt, chilli flakes and black pepper. Raise heat to medium-high and bring mixture to boil. Partially cover pot and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the lentils and chick peas are tender but still hold their shape.
- Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender. (Protect your hand from steam.) Puree the soup until smooth. Pour the pureed soup back into the pot and add the chopped kale. Cook for 5 more minutes or until the kale has softened to your liking.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Taste and season with more salt and pepper until the flavors really sing. Serve immediately and enjoy!
|Fruit & Veg||8.1|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Soups and Broths
You'll find hundreds more recipes for soups, stews and broths in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite comfort recipes, give it a try!