Soup SL's Chicken & Root Veg Recipe
By the wlr team
A traditional chicken soup, this recipe uses the chicken carcass to maximise flavour. Plus it's so low calorie you could enjoy a chunk of fresh bread too.
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 2 hrs
- Calories: 162
- 454g whole roast chicken
- 100g leeks
- 3 medium carrots
- 56g parsnip
- 300g potatoes
- 10g chicken stock cubes
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Break the chicken meat off the bones and put to one side. Discard any skin. Put the bones/carcus into the pan and cover with water (a good 2 pints or more in mine). Bring up to pressure (to the boil) and reduce to a low heat to simmer slowly for a whole hour. (If using a pan to keep an eye on liquid levels as you will lose steam).
- Finely chop all the veg.
- Once the carcus has had an hour, take it out and drain the stock back into the pan.
- Throw all the chopped veg into the stock and add one chicken stock cube. Bring up to pressure and turn the heat low. Leave for 30 mins or more.
- Meanwhile break the chicken flesh into small chunks and keep covered til later.
- Once the veg is lovely and soft, liquidise the soup. Then add in the chicken chunks. Season if needed, and add water if needed. (Always taste and trust your tastebuds.)
The times above are for cooking this in a pressure cooker, but you could use a stock pot instead, adjust cooking times to make sure everything is cooked soft.
|Fruit & Veg||0.6|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Soups and Broths
You'll find hundreds more recipes for soups, stews and broths in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite comfort recipes, give it a try!