Easy Low Calorie Leek & Potato Soup Recipe
By Rebecca Walton, wlr team
Leek and Potato Soup is a firm favourite, and it's quicker and easier to make than you'd think! It will also keep for a week or so in the fridge, so it's a perfect lunch batch cook recipe (although it doesn't tend to last that long in our experience!)
Includes substitutions to make the recipe suitable for vegans.
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 35 mins
- Calories: 187
- 1 onion
- 500g white potatoes
- 4 leeks
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 10g butter
- 1 stock cube, chicken
- 1 pint water
- 300ml semi skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche, half fat
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- Peel and finely dice the onions, peel and small cube the potatoes, top and tail and wash the leeks, then slice finely. Reserve a few slices of leek to garnish.
- In a large heavy bottomed pan (you'll need one with a lid) heat the oil and butter over a low-medium heat and gently fry the onion - you want it to start to go translucent, but not browned.
- After 2-3 minutes add the leeks and season with salt and pepper (black is fine, but white pepper if you have it - it helps to keep the colour of the soup). Sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring a few times to ensure the leeks don't catch on the bottom of the pan. You don't want them to cook too long as they'll start to lose a bit of their colour and melow in favour.
- Add the potato cubes to the pan, stir to thoroughly to coat, pop the lid on the pan and turn down to a low setting. Allow to cook for another 7-10 minutes, stirring once or twice to ensure they don't catch.
- Make the stock cube up to 500ml with boiling water (you can substitute a vegetable stock cube if you'd like). Once the potatoes are tender add half the stock to the pan with the milk and stir. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the crème fraiche. Stir, and then blend in the pan with a stick blender until your preferred consistency (add more of the stock at this stage if the soup is too thick). Have a taste to check the seasoning, add a little more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Put the pan back on the hob and simmer for a couple of minutes until the soup is piping hot again. Serve with a few slices of leek and a grind of black pepper. For a bit of a cheffy twist, and if you have the calories, you can also swirl a tsp of cream through before garnishing.
Add a crusty roll for around 150 calories.
To make this soup suitable for vegans use a vegetable stock cube, and non-dairy milk and crème fraiche alternatives (we find oat milk works best for this as it doesn't have a strong flavour of its own).
|Fruit & Veg||1.9|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Soups and Broths
You'll find hundreds more recipes for soups, stews and broths in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite comfort recipes, give it a try!