Soup Chicken & Root Veg Recipe
This hearty soup is a great recipe to make in large batches and freeze for another time! Full of healthy veg this low calorie soup is only 162 cals per serving!
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 2 hrs
- Calories: 162
- 454g whole roast chicken
- 100g leeks
- 3 medium carrots
- 56g parsnip
- 300g potatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- This timing for this recipe is for a pressure cooker but can be cooked in a pot - just adjust the timings.
- Break the chicken meat off the bones and put to one side. Discard any skin.
- Put the bones/carcus into the pan and cover the water (a good 2 pints or more).
- Bring up to pressure (to the boil) and reduce to a low heat to simmer slowly for a whole hour. (If using a pan to keep an eye on liquid levels as you will lose steam).
- Finely chop all the veg. Once the carcus has had an hour, take it out and drain the stock back into the pan.
- Throw all the chopped veg into the stock and add the stock cube.
- Bring up to pressure and turn the heat low. Leave for 30 mins or more.
- Meanwhile break the chicken flesh into small chunks and keep covered til later.
- Once the veg is lovely and soft, liquidise the soup.
- Then add in the chicken chunks. Season if needed, and add water if needed. Always taste and trust your tastebuds.
|Fruit & Veg||0.6|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Soups and Broths
You'll find hundreds more recipes for soups, stews and broths in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite comfort recipes, give it a try!