Chowder, Smoked Haddock & Leek Recipe
Get stuck into this low fat haddock and leek chowder. High in protein and it gives you nearly 2 of your 5 a day; this is a great meal to have as a lunch or a starter for a dinner meal.
- Recipe makes: 4 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 40 mins
- Calories: 319
- 1 pint skimmed milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g haddock, fillets
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 295ml water
- 2 stalks celery
- 500g white potatoes
- 200g carrots
- 150g leeks
- 1 rasher back bacon
- 5 sprays extra virgin olive oil spray
- 2 corn cobs
- Place milk, bay leaves in a big saute pan season with salt and pepper, add the haddock and bring to boil. Cover, turn off and let cook through
- Make up stock with half pint of boiling water.
- Peel and dice the celery, potatoes and carrots. Clean leeks and cut into coins.
- Chop bacon into small pieces and fry in oil on a medium heat until browned. Add leeks, celery, potatoes and carrots, stir and saute for 5 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Remove the fish from the milk and set aside. Pour the milk and stock onto vegetables and bring to the boil, simmer until veggies are cooked. Add the corn, cover and simmer until corn is cooked.
- Season to taste, add the haddock back in big chunks, stir and enjoy.
- Thin the soup with more boiling water if you want a thinner chowder
Use uncooked corn on the cob for this recipe and, if you can get it, undyed smoked haddock.
|Fruit & Veg||1.9|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Soups and Broths
You'll find hundreds more recipes for soups, stews and broths in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite comfort recipes, give it a try!