Satay Chicken Skewers with Warm Asian Slaw and Rice
By the wlr team
Packed full of flavour, high in protein and quick and easy to make. Served with warm Asian slaw and rice, this 'takeaway' favourite is fresh and homemade for just 477 calories!
- Recipe makes: 2 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Calories: 477
- 100g rice, basmati
- 30g peanut butter
- 30ml water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce, light
- 2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless & boneless
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 red onion
- ½ carrot
- 10 sprays sunflower oil
- 10 peanuts
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ lime, juiced
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Turn on the grill to a medium heat. Put a pan of water on to boil for the rice. Put a small non-stick pan on a medium heat. Soak 6-8 skewers in cold water.
- Combine the peanut butter, water, 1 tbsp soy sauce and the sweet chilli sauce. Mix well.
- Cook the rice as per the pack instructions.
- Chop the chicken into small bitesize chunks. In a bowl season the chicken with a little salt and pour in half the satay sauce mix. Mix well to coat the chicken. Leave to marinade while you prepare the warm veg salad.
- Finely slice the red onion, peel and finely slice the carrot into thin ribbons.
- Thread the chicken pieces equally onto the skewers and place on some tin foil under the grill. Turn half way through cooking - they should need about 7 minutes on each side, but ensure they are propoerly cooked before removing from the grill.
- While the chicken is grilling spray the oil into the pan and add the onion and carrot and fry for 5 minutes. Using the end of a rolling pin or similar, roughly crush the peanuts and add to the pan with 2 tbsp soy sauce. Stir well and leave on a low heat.
- Drain the rice and serve with the skewers, drizzled with remaining sauce and sprinkled with the sesame seeds. Serve the warm asian slaw alongside, squeeze the lime juice over the slaw.
Why not try some more of our 'fakeaway' favourites...
- Kung Pao Chicken with Rice - Sweet, sticky and spicy.. This 'fakeaway' recipe is ready in 25 minutes and under 500 calories per serving.
- Low Calorie Chicken Fried Rice - a simple 378 calorie rice dish to give you that authentic takeaway taste, without the calories of a real takeaway.
- Alternatively, if you prefer a seafood based stir-fry, our Egg Noodles with Tiger Prawns and Salmon is ready in only 20 minutes.
If you're go- to treat is a Chinese takeaway our Dietitian Juliette Kellow has some advice for eating out Chinese cuisine. You can also check the calories in popular Chinese takeaway foods with our Chinese Food Calorie Counter.
|Fruit & Veg||1.0|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Chinese style meals
You'll find hundreds more recipes for yummy Chinese dishes in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite veggie meals, give it a try!
You'll find 30 delish dinners, 30 lush lunches and 30 scrummy breakfasts in this colourful book ... quick-and-easy recipes for calorie counted meals that prove you don't need to feel deprived when you're dieting. Only £7.99 in the wlr shop