Toad in the Hole with Onion Gravy Recipe
This low calorie twist on a true British classic is guaranteed to satisfy that comfort food craving. Its low fat and has a recipe for homemade gravy, if time is short, skip making the gravy and just use granules.
- Recipe makes: 4 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 40 mins
- Calories: 317
- 500g onions
- 98ml red wine
- ½ pint vegetable stock
- 1g fresh thyme
- 126g plain flour
- 1 medium egg
- 284ml skimmed milk
- 300g low fat pork sausages
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
Preheat oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4 / 350°F
- Heat a large non stick frying pan, spray with low fat cooking spray and then stir fry the onions for 5mins, until they begin to turn golden. Turn the heat to its lowest setting, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and coloured.
- Add the wine, stock and thyme. Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered for 10-15 minutes, until thick.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Make a well in the middle and then add the egg and half the milk.
- Gradually stir in the rest of the milk into the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Spray a shallow ovenproof dish with low fat cooking spray. Arrange the sausages in it. Pour in the batter and bake for 35-40 minutes, until it is well risen.
- Serve the toad cut into sections with two sausages in each, with the onion gravy.
|Fruit & Veg||1.7|
More Calorie Counted Meal Makers
You can take your choice from hundreds more recipes for tasty but healthy meals in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own homemade favourites, give it a try!