Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shepherds pie is a true classic. This low calorie version is a great family dinner that everyone will enjoy. Serve alone or with some simple steamed veg.
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 1 hr
- Calories: 591
- 227g onion
- 224g carrots
- 400g lean lamb mince
- 1 lamb stock cube
- 500ml water
- 720g potatoes
- 227g frozen peas
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
Preheat oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4 / 350°F
- Peel and chop the onion. Scrub and dice the carrot.
- Dry fry the lamb mince until lightly browned and remove from pan leaving juices and meat fat behind.
- Add chopped onion and carrot and gently fry for about 1 minute.
- Return meat to the pan.
- Add 1 stock cube dissolved in 500 ml of water, stir thoroughly and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- While the meat simmers, bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the potatoes until tender.
- Stir the peas into the meat mixture and continue to cook. There should be enough liquid to cover the meat mixture, reduce further if required but do not make too dry. Season mixture to taste.
- Place in a oven proof dish large enough to take topping.
- Drain and mash the potatoes, season to taste.
- Add to top of dish and spread across top, leaving uneven surface.
- Place the whole dish in the oven bake for 40 minutes or until golden on top.
This recipe makes 6 servings, but if you double up the ingredients you'll get 12. Spot on for batch cooking and making it the perfect homemade ready meal to pop in the freezer in portions.
|Fruit & Veg||1.5|
More Calorie Counted Meal Makers
You can take your choice from hundreds more recipes for tasty but healthy meals in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own homemade favourites, give it a try!