Shakshoka with Chick Peas Recipe
Shakshoka is a traditional Moroccan dish. Every chef has a different method and this low calorie version is mixed with chick peas to make a complete meal.
- Recipe makes: 3 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Calories: 360
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium yellow pepper
- 1 medium green pepper
- 9g garlic
- 1g saffron
- 2 tsp corn oil
- 2g cayenne pepper
- 400g canned chick peas
- 400g canned, chopped tomatoes
- 3 large eggs
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Prepare the cumin seeds by grinding them for a minute in a pestle and mortar. You could use ready ground cumin but it simply doesn't have the aroma that fresh seeds have.
- Prepare the onion by skinning it, cutting in half, then slicing thin sections to leave thin semi-circles which, when cooked, will leave long lengths of onion.
- De-seed the peppers and chop into long thin strips. Thinly slice the garlic cloves.
- To prepare the saffron, place it in a small dish and pour on three tablespoons of boiling water. Leave it to soak.
- In a heavy-based pan fry the onions, ground cumin and cayenne on a low heat until the onion is starting to soften. Add the peppers and keep frying until they are beginning to soften.
- Drain and rinse the chick peas. Add the garlic and the chick peas to the pan and fry for a few minutes.
- Pour the soaked saffron (along with the liquid) into the pan and stir in. Add the chopped tomatoes with their juice. Stir well and simmer for a few minutes allowing the liquid to reduce slightly.
- Make three indentations in the mixture using a spoon and break the raw eggs into them.
- Put the lid on the pan and leave to cook until the eggs have hardened all the way through (it should take about ten minutes). Make sure the heat is kept low as the eggs cook or the mixture may burn.
- Once the eggs are cooked serve immediately.
- When serving slide a large spoon under the mixture to keep each egg intact on the plate.
You can serve this with warmed pitta bread if you prefer but don't forget to add the calories.
|Fruit & Veg||5.5|
More Calorie Counted Meal Makers
You can take your choice from hundreds more recipes for tasty but healthy meals in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own homemade favourites, give it a try!