Roasted Red Pepper Pesto with Red Onion Recipe
By the wlr team
This recipe for roasted red pepper pesto is a great replacement for pasta sauce, its low calories and quick and easy to make. Try this on sandwiches or drizzle over a salad for extra flavour.
- Recipe makes: 3 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 15 mins
- Calories: 167
- 3 red peppers
- 4 garlic cloves
- 100g fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp oregano dried
- ½ red onion
- ¼ tsp salt
- 38g nutritional yeast flakes
Preheat oven to 190°C / Gas Mark 5 / 375°F
- Place washed, whole fresh peppers on a baking tray. Skin the garlic
- Place the peppers in the oven or under the grill if preferred.
- Roast, turning frequently, until the skin has turned black and blistered.
- Remove from oven and place peppers into an airtight container such as a bowl with a lid, or a plastic or paper bag.
- Let the peppers rest in the container for 10 to 15 minutes to build up steam which will help in the removal of the pepper skin.
- Remove from container and peel off the skin, then cut the pepper in half, removing the seeds and core.
- While the peppers are roasting, toast the garlic in a skillet or heavy based pan by shaking occasionally until the cloves are slighlty coloured, which will take approximately 7-10 minutes. Do not allow to char.
- Transfer to a plate to cool and then peel and crush.
- Place the cooled and prepared garlic and peppers together with the other ingredients into a food processor and buzz in short bursts until smooth but still retaining a slightly grainy texture. Season with a pinch of freshly ground black pepper.
The Nutritional Yeast flakes (available from health food shops) are a substitute for parmesan which would bring the fat content up to 55% if used.
|Fruit & Veg||2.6|
More Calorie Counted Meal Makers
You can take your choice from hundreds more recipes for tasty but healthy meals in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own homemade favourites, give it a try!