Mushroom Biryani Recipe
You don’t need to order a takeaway every time you feel like having Indian food. This low calorie mushroom biryani is the perfect vegetarian dish for anyone fancying something a little bit different.
- Recipe makes: 3 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Calories: 311
- 170g onion
- 50g carrots
- 350g closed cup mushrooms
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1.5g mustard seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida powder
- 80g frozen garden peas
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 150g dry brown rice
- 10g tomato puree
- 12g dry vegetable stock cubes
- Peel and finely slice the onions, along with the carrots and mushrooms.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy based frying pan (preferably one with a lid).
- Add the peppercorns, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida (optional-found in Indian supermarkets and some large supermarkets).
- Heat for a few seconds then add the onions and fry until turning golden brown. (It is tempting to use spray oil to reduce the calorie content but the oil does produce a much nicer finished product and is already a quarter of what was in the original recipe!)
- Add the mushrooms, peas, carrot, garlic, ginger, turmeric, chilli powder, salt, rice and tomato puree.
- Cook the mixture for about 2/3 minutes stirring well. Add the stock cubes to 1 1/2 pints of boiling water then pour the stock over the vegetables and rice.
- Cover and simmer gently for about 15 minutes. The finished dish should be quite dry but add more water if necessary to cook the rice thoroughly.
Serve hot as it is or with a plain curry sauce and enjoy!
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
|Fruit & Veg||2.9|
More Calorie Counted Meal Makers
You can take your choice from hundreds more recipes for tasty but healthy meals in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own homemade favourites, give it a try!