Cottage Pie with Steamed Veg Recipe
By the wlr team
This recipe makes 2 servings that are packed full of fruit and veg; it has more than 6 of your 5 a day! Served with some fresh steamed vegetables this recipe makes a great low calorie dinner.
- Recipe makes: 2 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 45 mins
- Calories: 395
- 1 carrot
- ½ medium onion
- 160g carrots
- 160g broccoli
- 160g cauliflower
- 100g white potatoes
- 150g swede
- 250g lean minced beef
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 200g canned plum tomatoes
- 1 dry beef stock cube
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Peel and chop the vegetables. (Except the carrot, broccoli and cauliflower for steaming if you're batch cooking for the freezer).
- Boil the potatoes and swede until soft and then mash.
- In a separate pan (preferably non-stick), saute the minced beef, garlic and onion until the beef is brown and the onion and garlic is soft - drain any excess juices/fat. Then add the diced carrot, plum tomatoes, mixed herbs and stock cube.
- Simmer for approx 15 minutes - adding a splash of water if needed and then pour mixture into a suitable dish, cover with the swede and potato mash and then grill until the mash forms a nice crust.
This recipe makes 2 servings, jam packed with veg. Double or quadruple the ingredients to make enough to pop in the freezer to have when life gets in the way - a brilliant way to get your five a day in a homemade ready meal! Just substitute the fresh steamed veg for a bag of frozen or cook some fresh when you're having this for dinner.
|Fruit & Veg||6.5|
More Calorie Counted Meal Makers
You can take your choice from hundreds more recipes for tasty but healthy meals in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own homemade favourites, give it a try!