Best Black Bean Burger with Skin on Sweet Potato Fries
By the wlr team
This vegetarian burger is loaded with goodies. Caramelized onion, smashed avocado, fresh tomato all piled high on a wholemeal roll.
Suitable for vegetarians.
- Recipe makes: 2 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 45 mins
- Calories: 493
- 1 onion
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 100ml water
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 can black beans, drained
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp lemon juice, fresh
- 10 sprays sunflower oil
- 2 wholemeal rolls
- black pepper
- Turn the oven on to 180C/400F/Gas Mark 6
- Peel and finely slice the onion. Scrub the sweet potato and slice into thin wedges. Slice the tomato and scoop out the avocado and chop into chunks.
- Heat the oil over a low heat in a small pan and add the onion. Saute until softened (around 5 minutes). Once softened, add the water and brown sugar. Allow to very gently simmer while preparing the rest of the food. They will need stirring regularly and will caramelise. Once you're happy with them they can be taken off the heat to use later.
- Drain the beans and pat dry with some kitchen paper. In a bowl, mix the beans with the garlic powder, cumin, paprika. Mash the mixture with a fork until it can be formed easily with your hands. Add the Worcestershire sauce and egg yolk and mix well. Form into 2 patties and chill in the fridge for 10 mins.
- Lay the sweet potato wedges on a non-stick baking tray and spray with the oil. Season with salt and pepper and put in the oven to bake for 30 minutes, turning half way through.
- In a small bowl, add the lemon juice to the avocado with a pinch of salt and pepper and mash together with a fork. Check the caramelised onions and the sweet potato wedges.
- When the wedges have only 10 minutes left to cook, put a non-stick frying pan on a medium heat. Spray each patty with a couple of sprays of oil and fry for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve the patties in a wholemeal bun, with the sliced tomato, avocado smash, and caramelised onion... with the wedges on the side.
|Fruit & Veg||5.7|
More Quick & Easy Calorie Counted Recipes
You can take your choice from hundreds more quick and easy recipes in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite recipes, give it a try!