Curried Parsnip Soup
By Rebecca Walton, wlr team
A fabulous winter warmer, this soup doesn't take long to make and is a great way to use parsnips in season in the colder months. It's easy to adjust the heat to your liking, and will keep for up to a week, making a good lunchtime batch cook.
- Recipe makes: 4 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Calories: 309
- 1 Sm Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 500g Parsnip
- 10g Butter
- 2 Tsps Plain Flour
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 3 Tbsps Half Fat Crème Fraiche
- Black Pepper
- 500ml Water
- ½ Tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
- 4 Wholemeal Pitta Breads
- 3 Tsps Garam Masala
- Peel, core and small dice the parsnips. Peel and finely dice the onion. Peel and crush the garlic.
- Heat the butter in a large heavy bottomed pan on a medium heat (you'll need one with a lid). Add the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and parsnip to the pan and stir well to coat. Turn the heat down to a low setting and cook with the lid on for 10 minutes. Stir a couple of times while cooking to ensure the parsnip doesn't catch on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the garam masala, and half a tsp of chilli flakes (you can add more chilli flakes/powder later if you want to give it a bit more of a kick). Season with a little salt and pepper and stir.
- Make the stock up to 500ml with boiling water. Add the flour to the pan and stir to coat. Add 2/3rds of the stock to the pan, turn the heat up a little and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the parsnips are very tender.
- Remove from the heat and blend with a stick blender. Add the creme fraiche and blend a little more. You can add more stock in at this point if the soup is too thick.
- Have a taste, and add more seasoning or chilli flakes to your taste preference.
- Return to the hob on a low heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes until piping hot again.
- Serve sprinkled with a few chilli flakes and a toasted pitta for each person.
|Fruit & Veg||1.9|
More Low Calorie Recipes for Everyday
You'll find hundreds more easy, low calorie recipes in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite meals, give it a try!
You'll find 30 delish dinners, 30 lush lunches and 30 scrummy breakfasts in this colourful book ... quick-and-easy recipes for calorie counted meals that prove you don't need to feel deprived when you're dieting. Only £7.99 in the wlr shop