Citrus Chicken Recipe
Make sure to note you need to prepare and marinate the chicken for this dish well before cooking. However, don’t let this put you off this amazing recipe! This healthy dinner is low in fat and incorporates some great ingredients such as oranges and lemon, so try something a little different and give it a go!
- Recipe makes: 2 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Calories: 664
- 2 medium oranges
- 120ml fresh lemon juice
- 250g skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 medium onion
- 15ml olive oil
- 450ml water
- 11g chicken stock cube
- 150g dry white basmati rice
- 20g pure clear honey
- 25g sultanas
- 41g pitted black olives
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Squeeze the juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon (listed as lemon juice in the recipe) into a bowl.
- Slice the chicken breast into thin sheets lengthways. To do this, rest the chicken breast flat on a chopping board and with a sharp knife cut parallel to the chopping board. From each chicken breast you should get 2 to 3 sheets.
- Rest the chicken breast pieces in the bottom of a flat dish and pour over the lemon and orange juice so the chicken breast is covered. Cover the dish (either with a lid or cling-film) and place in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour, preferably longer.
- Once marinating is complete very finely chop the onion. Fry the onion lightly in the olive oil until they are starting to soften.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the marinade, reserving the liquor and fry the chicken with the onion until thoroughly cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, peel the remaining orange, cut off the pith and segment. You should aim to remove everything from around the orange leaving only the flesh of the segments.
- Bring the water to the boil in a pan, add the stock cube until dissolved then add the rice.
- Simmer until nearly cooked through, adding additional water to cook if needed but not leaving any water in the pan. As the rice finishes cooking, add the honey and the sultanas.
- Once the chicken is cooked through add the orange segments and olives to the pan.
- Introduce enough of the marinade liquor to form a sauce and heat through.
- Serve the chicken and rice together.
NOTE: You need to prepare and marinate the chicken well before cooking so please don't start this recipe just before dinner!
|Fruit & Veg||4.3|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Chicken
You'll find hundreds more low calorie chicken recipes in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own chicken favourites, give it a try!