Creamy Porridge with Banana and Maple Syrup
By wlr's Resident Foodie, Joanne Putney
A low calorie porridge, made with soya milk - which makes it extra creamy. Cook it either in the microwave or in one pan on the hob - either way, it's ready in just 5 minutes! Serve with good-quality maple syrup for a luxuriously, smooth, sweet kick.
- Recipe makes: 1 serving
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 5 mins
- Calories: 274
- 30g porridge oats
- 60ml soya milk, sweetened
- 120ml water
- 1 medium banana, chopped or mashed
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
Mash the banana for a smoother consistency; chop it if you prefer chunks of banana. If you would like more discernible chunks of banana, keep some back to add for the last minute of cooking or raw when serving.
Place the oats, soya milk and water in a large microwaveable bowl. Add in the banana and stir to mix.
- Microwave uncovered on full power for 3 min.
- Stir and microwave for a further 2 min.
- Stir and check consistency - microwave for a further 1 minute if not thick enough.
Allow to stand for 1-2 minutes then serve drizzled with maple syrup.
NOTES: It is very important to use a LARGE bowl - the porridge boils up a lot during cooking.
Don't worry if you don't like soya milk - it makes the porridge extra creamy but you don't really taste it and you can always substitute cow's milk or even water.
The recipe is based on volume measures so is easy to scale up (1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup soya milk, 1/2 cup water, 1 banana per person). The porridge can also be cooked on the top of the stove in the conventional manner which may be easier for larger quantities.
To cook on the hob:
- Measure the porridge, soya milk and water into a saucepan. Add in the banana and stir to mix.
- Bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking
- Once thickened (almost) to your liking, pour into bowl(s). Drizzle with maple syrup and ENJOY!
|Fruit & Veg||1.6|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Breakfast
You can take your choice from hundreds more yummy breakfast recipes in wlr, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own best breakfast, give it a try!