Low Prep Beef and Lentil Curry with Rice
Make in a slow cooker or in the oven... you can adjust the spices in this dish to suit your own tastes. An easy recipe to make for a crowd.
- Recipe makes: 2 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 4 hrs 15 mins
- Calories: 561
- 200g Lean Beef Braising Steak
- 20 Pumps Olive Oil Spray
- 1 Med Onion
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tsps Ground Coriander
- ½ Tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Chilli Powder
- ½ Can Reduced Fat Coconut Milk
- 2 Tbsps Tomato Puree
- 1 sm Bunch Coriander Leaves
- 80g Dry Brown Rice
- 50g Dried Red Lentils
- Turn on the slow cooker to medium (if you don't have a slow cooker you can cook this curry in a heavy casserole dish with a lid, in an oven at 120C).
- Dice the steak into bitesize chunks. Dice the onion and crush the garlic. Rinse the lentils.
- In a large non-stick pan heat 20 sprays olive oil on a medium heat. Brown the steak pieces and place into your slow cooked/casserole dish (leaving the juices behind in the pan).
- In the pan with the juices add the onion, garlic, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and chilli powder. Once the onion has started to soften add the tomato puree and stir to cook out slightly. Sauté for 2-3 mins.
- Add the coconut milk, stir, and simmer for 2-3 mins. Tip everything into the slow cooker/casserole dish with the lentils.
- Cook into the slow cooker/oven for 4 hours. Check periodically and add a little water if necessary through the cooking time.
- 20 minutes from serving, cook the rice as per pack instructions. Finely chop the fresh coriander.
- Serve the curry with the rice, sprinkled with the coriander leaves.
|Fruit & Veg||1.6|
More Quick & Easy Calorie Counted Recipes
You can take your choice from hundreds more quick and easy recipes in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own favourite recipes, give it a try!