Stuffatina Alla Romana - Delicious Beef in red Wine Stew
By the wlr team
A truly delicious Roman beef stew, its long cooking time deserves a big pot full. Only 294 calories... and freezes well, so no need to worry about any extra portions.
This recipe is included in our Delish Dozen Collection - meals to indulge in without breaking the calorie bank.
- Recipe makes: 8 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 3 hrs
- Calories: 294
- 3 rashers streaky bacon
- 1362g lean rump steak
- 12g garlic
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 250ml red wine
- 240g celery
- 100g tomato puree
- 10ml fresh lemon juice
- 7g beef stock cubes
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Cut the bacon into small pieces, cut the beef into 1 inch cubes and crush the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pan and gently fry the bacon until golden.
- Add the beef and fry over a high heat, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Pour the wine over the beef and bring to the boil. Keep it bubbling until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Finely chop 3 sticks of the celery and add to the pot. Stir in the tomato puree, lemon juice, garlic and black pepper.
- Add the stock cube to 1 pint of boiling water to make a stock. Pour enough of this into the pot to just cover the meat, and set the rest aside.
- Cover the pot and gently simmer for three hours, checking once in a while and topping up with more of the stock if necessary - to keep meat covered.
- 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, cut the rest of the celery into 2 inch pieces, blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and add to the stew.
Serve piping hot with 75g Tagliatelle or Penne for around an additional 265 calories, or with a crispy baked potato for around 218 calories.
Tip - Stuffatina tastes even better if you make it a day in advance and refrigerate.
If you like Italian cuisine, why not try some of our other favourite Mediterranean Recipes:
- Italian Beef Meatballs with Tomato Sauce and Penne
- Low Fat Traditional Beef Lasagne
- Mediterranean Ricotta and Aubergine Spaghetti
As Stuffatina freezes well, it's a great one pot to make a few portions of and freeze for future use. Batch cooking like this can really help when it comes to planning ahead when counting calories... We've got loads of recipes and ideas to help - check out The Beauty of the Batch Cook.
You can check calories in popular restaurant Italian menus with our Eating Out Calorie Guide - Italian Food
|Fruit & Veg||0.6|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Beef
You'll find hundreds more beef and beef mince recipes to tempt you in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own beefy favourites, give it a try!
You'll find 30 delish dinners, 30 lush lunches and 30 scrummy breakfasts in this colourful book ... quick-and-easy recipes for calorie counted meals that prove you don't need to feel deprived when you're dieting. Only £7.99 in the wlr shop