Stuffatina Alla Romana Recipe
By the wlr team
This low calorie Roman beef stew is truly delicious and its long cooking time deserves a big pot full. It freezes well, so no need to worry about any extra portions.
- Recipe makes: 8 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 3 hrs
- Calories: 294
- 3 rashers streaky bacon
- 1362g lean rump steak
- 12g garlic
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 250ml red wine
- 240g celery
- 100g tomato puree
- 10ml fresh lemon juice
- 7g beef stock cubes
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Cut the bacon into small pieces, cut the beef into 1 inch cubes and crush the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pan and gently fry the bacon until golden.
- Add the beef and fry over a high heat, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Pour the wine over the beef and bring to the boil. Keep it bubbling until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Finely chop 3 sticks of the celery and add to the pot. Stir in the tomato puree, lemon juice, garlic and black pepper.
- Add the stock cube to 1 pint of boiling water to make a stock. Pour enough of this into the pot to just cover the meat, and set the rest aside.
- Cover the pot and gently simmer for three hours, checking once in a while and topping up with more of the stock if necessary - to keep meat covered.
- 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time, cut the rest of the celery into 2 inch pieces, blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and add to the stew.
Serve piping hot with Tagliatelle but don't forget to add the calories.
Tip - Stuffatina tastes even better if you make it a day in advance and refrigerate.
|Fruit & Veg||0.6|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Beef
You'll find hundreds more beef and beef mince recipes to tempt you in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own beefy favourites, give it a try!