Italian Meatballs & Tomato Sauce with Pasta
By the wlr team
This pasta dish is an Italian classic... healthy, high protein and provides you with 3 of your 5 a day.
- Recipe makes: 1 serving
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 40 mins
- Calories: 559
- 10g red onions
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 227g chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- ¼ tsp light sugar
- 75g lean pork mince
- 84g lean beef steak mince
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 10g dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan
- 50g dry pasta shells
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and gently cook half the onion and half the garlic until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, mixed herbs and a pinch of sugar and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Mix the minced pork and beef together in a roomy bowl. Add the rest of the finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, oregano, breadcrumbs and Parmesan and mix well. Roll into small meatballs, about the size of a walnut.
- After simmering the tomato sauce for 20 minutes, place the meatballs into the tomato sauce and simmer gently for a further 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your meatballs. These need to be cooked right through and no longer pink in the middle.
- While the meatballs are cooking, prepare the pasta following package directions, omitting any suggested fat or salt.
Serve the pasta topped with meatballs in tomato sauce, with steamed green beans on the side.
If you like Pasta and Italian cuisine, why not try some of our other favourite low calorie Pasta Recipes:
- Low Fat Traditional Beef Lasagne
- Mediterranean Ricotta and Aubergine Spaghetti
- Creamy Mushroom Carbonara
You can check calories in popular restaurant Italian menus with our Eating Out Calorie Guide - Italian Food
|Fruit & Veg||3.1|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Beef
You'll find hundreds more beef and beef mince recipes to tempt you in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own beefy favourites, give it a try!
You'll find 30 delish dinners, 30 lush lunches and 30 scrummy breakfasts in this colourful book ... quick-and-easy recipes for calorie counted meals that prove you don't need to feel deprived when you're dieting. Only £7.99 in the wlr shop