Meatballs & Tomato Sauce with Pasta Recipe
A healthy recipe that provides you with 3 of your 5 a day. This pasta dish is an Italian classic that is great served up with a side salad or steamed green beans.
- Recipe makes: 1 serving
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 40 mins
- Calories: 559
- 10g red onions
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp olive oil
- 227g chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- ¼ tsp light sugar
- 75g lean pork mince
- 84g lean beef steak mince
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- 10g dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan
- 50g dry pasta shells
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and gently cook half the onion and half the garlic until softened.
- Add the tomatoes, mixed herbs and a pinch of sugar and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Mix the minced pork and beef together in a roomy bowl. Add the rest of the finely chopped onion, crushed garlic, oregano, breadcrumbs and Parmesan and mix well. Roll into small meatballs, about the size of a walnut.
- After simmering the tomato sauce for 20 minutes, place the meatballs into the tomato sauce and simmer gently for a further 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your meatballs. These need to be cooked right through and no longer pink in the middle.
- While the meatballs are cooking, prepare the pasta following package directions, omitting any suggested fat or salt.
Serve the pasta topped with meatballs in tomato sauce, with steamed green beans on the side.
|Fruit & Veg||3.1|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Beef
You'll find hundreds more beef and beef mince recipes to tempt you in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own beefy favourites, give it a try!