Italian Beef Meatballs in Sauce with Pasta
You don’t need to go to the supermarket to get great meatballs, these homemade ones are simple to make and aren’t high in calories. This is a low calorie dish that will satisfy any cravings you have for Italian food.
- Recipe makes: 3 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 25 mins
- Calories: 490
- 300g extra lean beef mince
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- 2 small onions
- 80g celery
- 9g garlic
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 20g sun dried tomato paste
- 8g soft brown sugar
- 1g dried oregano
- 225g fusilli
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Pound the lean beef mince with pestle and mortar (or dish with something flat ended and heavy) until it makes a paste (sticks well together... this stops the meatball falling apart, well worth the effort).
- Next spray a non-stick fry-pan with a fine mist of olive oil.
- Chop the onion and celery finely and fry gently (you want it transluscent and golden, not brown).
- Chop or mash 2 cloves of the garlic and add to the pan. Fry for another 2 mins, then take off the heat.
- In your liquidiser (or large jug/bowl if you have the handheld version) put the tinned chopped tomatoes, sundried tomato paste, brown sugar and a little water. Add the onion/celery/garlic mix and give it all a good whizz. That's your sauce.
- To the pounded beef mince add 1 garlic clove, finely chopped, and the oregano.
- Mix well and form into balls.
- In the now clean fry-pan put a fine spray of olive oil.
- Fry the meatballs on a medium to high heat, gradually browning on all sides. As soon as they have enough colour, throw the sauce in the pan and turn the heat right down to a gently simmer.
- Taste and season with black pepper and salt to taste.
- Cook the pasta as per packet instruction.
Serve and enjoy!
|Fruit & Veg||3.0|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Beef
You'll find hundreds more beef and beef mince recipes to tempt you in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own beefy favourites, give it a try!