Highlanders Pot Roast Beef Recipe
By the wlr team
Try this low calorie beef recipe for your Sunday night roast. Pop it in the oven and then sit back and wait while it cooks away. Serve with roast potatoes.
- Recipe makes: 3 servings
- Cook time: 2 hrs 30 mins
- Calories: 447
- 700g topside beef roasting joint
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp light Muscovado sugar
- 150ml red wine
- 150ml beef stock cubes made up
- 1 tsp dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
Preheat oven to 160°C / Gas Mark 3 / 325°F
- Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Chop the onions.
- Heat half of the oil in large non stick frying pan and fry onions over low heat for 10 mins.
- Stir in sugar and cook for 1-2 mins more.
- Remove from heat and spread onions over base of large flame proof casserole.
- Wipe out pan.
- Heat remaining oil in pan and fry meat briskly on all sides to seal.
- Place meat on top of onions.
- Add wine, stock and herbs.
- Cover and cook in centre of oven for 2 and half hours.
- Remove herb sprigs, carve meat and serve with onion gravy spooned over.
|Fruit & Veg||1.6|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Beef
You'll find hundreds more beef and other satisfying low calorie recipes to tempt you in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own beefy favourites, give it a try!