Hungarian Beef Goulash with Rice
By the wlr team
This tasty beef goulash recipe provides you with 2 of your 5 a day and is low in calories. A great meal for the whole family, if you want to lower the fat content, skip the yoghurt on top and enjoy!
- Recipe makes: 4 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 2 hrs 15 mins
- Calories: 358
- 90g onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400g lean beef steak
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 32g tomato puree
- 1 red pepper
- 227g mushrooms
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 20g cornflour
- 227g white rice
- 25g low fat plain yoghurt
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Peel and chop the onion, peel and crush the garlic.
- Heat oil in large heavy based frying pan and cook garlic & onion for 3 minutes.
- Add beef and cook on high heat for a further 3 minutes until browned, add paprika and stir.
- Add tomatoes, tomato puree, pepper and mushrooms, cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the beef stock, bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 1½ to 2 hours.
- Blend the cornflour with 1 tbsp water, add to the pan stirring continuously until the goulash is thickened and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer goulash to a warmed dish and serve with rice and fat free plain yogurt.
As Bourguinon freezes well, it's a great one pot to make a few portions of and freeze for future use. Batch cooking like this can really help when it comes to planning ahead when counting calories... We've got loads of recipes and ideas to help - check out The Beauty of the Batch Cook
Some of our favourite comforting one-pot beef recipes (which are great for batch cooking) include:
- Stuffatina alla Romana - A delicious Italian long slow cook beef in red wine stew that's truly indulgent
- Autumnal Beef Stew - A classic beef stew that's easy to make and sure to become a family favourite
- Rich and Indulgent Beef Bourguinon - A classic French dish that's a great comfort food for colder evenings
|Fruit & Veg||2.9|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Beef
You'll find hundreds more beef and beef mince recipes to tempt you in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own beefy favourites, give it a try!
You'll find 30 delish dinners, 30 lush lunches and 30 scrummy breakfasts in this colourful book ... quick-and-easy recipes for calorie counted meals that prove you don't need to feel deprived when you're dieting. Only £7.99 in the wlr shop