Rich and Indulgent Beef Bourguignon
By the wlr team
A classic, rich beef bourguignon for only 203 calories per serving. High in protein, this recipe makes 4 servings which can be frozen. Serve with some of your favourite bread or some homemade creamy mashed potato.
- Recipe makes: 4 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 2 hrs
- Calories: 203
- 180g onion
- 227g mushrooms
- 227g lean sirloin steak
- 5ml olive oil
- 20g white self raising flour
- 2g dried marjoram
- 0g dried thyme
- 15g beef stock cube
- 125ml red wine
Want to try different ingredients?
You can add this recipe to My Recipes in WLR and swap ingredients to make it perfect for you . . .
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion, wipe and slice the mushrooms. Cut the steak into 2.5 cm (1 inch) cubes.
- Cook onions in olive oil until translucent, and put to one side.
- In a large frying pan brown the cubes of meat for about 10 - 12 minutes, then add the flour, stirring to prevent sticking and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle on marjoram, thyme, and pepper and stir well.
- Add beef stock and wine to cover meat, cover pan, simmer on low heat for about 1½ hours, checking regularly and add more wine and stock if necessary to keep meat covered.
- Add mushrooms and onion to meat and cook for a further 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding small amounts of liquid if too thick, although the gravy should be thick like a sauce.
Add a crusty roll for just an extra 140 calories, or serve with 200g homemeade creamy mash for 154 calories.
As Bourguinon freezes well, it's a great one pot to make a few portions of and freeze for future use. Batch cooking like this can really help when it comes to planning ahead when counting calories... We've got loads of recipes and ideas to help - check out The Beauty of the Batch Cook
Some of our favourite comforting one-pot beef recipes (which are great for batch cooking) include:
- Stuffatina alla Romana - A delicious Italian long slow cook beef in red wine stew that's truly indulgent
- Autumnal Beef Stew - A classic beef stew that's easy to make and sure to become a family favourite
- Chilli con Carne - Make a big pot full and freeze for those days you want a home cooked meal without spending hours at the hob
|Fruit & Veg||1.3|
More Calorie Counted Recipes for Beef
You'll find hundreds more beef and beef mince recipes to tempt you in WLR, plus you can use the tools to easily calculate the calories in your own beefy favourites, give it a try!
You'll find 30 delish dinners, 30 lush lunches and 30 scrummy breakfasts in this colourful book ... quick-and-easy recipes for calorie counted meals that prove you don't need to feel deprived when you're dieting. Only £7.99 in the wlr shop