Weighing Up Christmas
December 30, 2013
I hopped onto the scales for my post-Christmas weigh in and although the digits recorded a ‘stayed the same’ I have to admit to being very satisfied with that.
I am also very satisfied that I managed to refrain from sneaky in-between weighing which has been a habit I have been hoping to break.
Everyone’s weight loss journey is different. Some choose a weekly weigh-in; others daily; I opt for a fortnightly hop on the scales.
This is largely due to the fact that I became concerned about my increasing weight in the early months of 2013 (triggered by illness and subsequent medication but not helped by my seeking solace in sweet treats) and developed an obsession with weighing myself every single time I went into the bathroom (I even took scales in to the day job office). As a comfort eater, any kind of stress would see me reach for food to console myself and so between the stress of what the scales were telling me and my reaction to hunt out cheese and chocolate… well, as you can imagine, it wasn’t a great cycle of behaviour to be caught up in. So, as part of the ‘changing habits’ part of my journey my hourly rendezvous with the bathroom scales was changed to a brief date once a fortnight.
I confess to feeling a little anxious as I stood on them after my Christmas celebrations. Lovely Husband and I had done some serious planning… we had ten home-made mince pies (you gotta love the WLR recipe database); we realised that Christmas did not traditionally require large tins of sweets to be within easy reach (again discarding a habit that has been part of my Christmas for decades); we didn’t need Panettone, Christmas cake, Yule log, Stollen and Christmas Pudding (this year saw us select the one we like most rather than buying all of them pretending we had got them in for visitors… in the full knowledge that perhaps 20% of our Christmas treats are eaten by guests and the remaining 80% either eaten by me and LH or packed up and shipped to LH’s office in the New Year) so as well as reducing temptation we also managed to reduce the spend on our ‘Big Christmas shop’… another unforeseen plus of my WLR journey.
Of course it wasn’t possible to be completely WLR-compliant. We spent a considerable part of Christmas staying with loved ones and therefore not ‘in charge’ in the kitchen but…
I kept the treats to a minimum; balanced glasses of wine with bigger glasses of water; piled my plate high with vegetables and kept my roast potato tally to single figures (that took some doing I can tell you!)
Yesterday LH and I did a long leisurely ‘big shop’ and it seems that WLR habits are contagious… LH has decided that he would like to lose ten pounds in the New Year and so we filled our trolley with protein packed meats; nutritionally sound vegetables and vitamin packed fruit. LH even decided that, instead of buying his usual packet of butter that he would share my ‘lighter than light’ spread for his morning toast and (like me) forgo it completely on his sandwiches. He also decided that as he couldn’t tell the difference between 2% fat or 1% fat in his semi-skimmed milk, he would opt for the lower and so we now have ‘purple milk’ rather than ‘green milk’ in the fridge. But the biggest surprise of all came when LH mused aloud as to whether we needed another ‘one-cal-spray’… (I hadn’t realised he was even aware we had one in the cupboard!)
The result was a trolley full of delicious food which we can both enjoy knowing that, as long as we plan and prepare and stick to our plan, our waistlines will not expand any further… and after Christmas I have to admit that my baked potato and five-bean-mix was exactly what my body was craving… And it was delicious.
In terms of ‘the holiday season’, I still have my New Year’s Eve celebration circled on the calendar – an evening of wining, dining and dancing organised by two friends who are exceptionally gifted cooks. Forty of us will gather for a five-course treat for our taste buds (but we have been assured that the food is concentrating on quality not quantity so servings will be small but delicious); A taxi has been booked to bring us home so that means that, whilst I plan to stick to raspberry cordial for most of the evening, I can indulge in a glass of champagne to toast in the New Year at midnight and as the disco is going for ‘Studio 54’ theme… I am sure that some of the calories will be burned off on the dance floor with some energetic appreciation of Earth Wind & Fire or Chic.
So as 2013 draws to a close I am satisfied that my planning and preparation has paid off over Christmas; I am looking forward to welcoming in 2014 with my headspace in an upbeat and optimistic place; and I’m determined to continue my WLR journey in 2014 with renewed commitment and focus.
Have a lovely end of the year and I’ll catch you all at the beginning of 2014.
With a hug