A for Effort
February 21, 2014
I have recently come to realise that the most important thing I put into my weight loss journey is EFFORT. It is the starting point for so many different aspects of my weight loss journey... but effort doesn't only pay dividends in my "WLR world". It really is a key factor in life.
I do believe that you get back what you put in, but sometimes putting it in can be the hard bit.
It’s really easy to lose focus and get side-lined; to put in place a list of tasks and priorities that see the things you procrastinate about slipping further and further down the page. Making an effort sounds easy but can be difficult to do. I decided to look up the definition of "effort" and was given:
"a vigorous or determined attempt"
(which I think sums up where my head was when I finally decided to make a commitment to lose the extra pounds which are causing me such unhappiness).
The definition captures all of the requirements when it comes to making an effort, because:
- Effort takes time
- Effort takes thought
- Effort takes planning
- Effort means pushing past the rocks in the road
- Effort means sometimes taking yourself out of your comfort zone
- Effort means being frightened of the unknown but summoning courage to push past the fear
- Effort means getting off your bum and doing it
- Effort is a requirement of a life well lived
- Effort is a means getting what you want and living the life you deserve
And when it comes to life, it really is worth the effort even though the going can get tough. What you have to remember is:
- Life isn’t a spectator sport.
- Life isn’t on a repeat cycle (it’s not like the cinema in the old days where you could sit and watch the last half and then watch the first half later
- Life isn’t a dress rehearsal or a press preview
- Life is here and now
- Life is a one-chance-only opportunity
- Life is frightening
- Life is challenging
- Life is full of possibilities
- Life comes with joy and sorrow and pleasure and pain and highs and lows and a sunny outlook and black clouds and
- Life is horrible, wonderful, exciting, daunting, challenging, rewarding, depressing, exhilarating (please feel free to add to the virtually endless list)
If you get ten minutes today why not use them to take time out and think about your life, about the effort you put into every aspect of it.
Look at the rewards your effort brings and consider the effects when you don’t put in the effort.
But most of all make an effort today to have an “I love LIFE” day, no matter what your circumstances. Many of us are battling demons and hard times and rocks in the road, (sometimes dirty great boulders), but amongst it all there is always something to celebrate, something to love about your life, something that makes it worth effort...
With a hug