Too much cholesterol circulating in your blood clogs and narrows
your arteries which can increase the risk of heart attacks and
It's not all gloom and doom you can lower cholesterol:
- Increase the amount of soluble fibre in
your diet by eating more whole grains - eg wholemeal bread,
high fibre breakfast cereals
- Reduce saturated fat in your diet - mainly found in beef,
pork and lamb. Skin on poultry also has a very high
concentration of saturated fat
- Load up you plate with fruit and vegetables which contain
essential nutrients for optimum health; including plant
statins that help to lower cholesterol. Aim for at least 5 portions
- Top up the garlic in your meals
- Use olive oil to cook with - remember, although olive oil
is better for your heart than other cooking fats, it still
contains as many calories!
- Increase the amount of Omega 3 in your diet by eating oily
fish such as herrings, kippers, sardines and pilchards.
Remember if they're tinned try to get them in brine, not oil.