Spiced Roast Leg of Lamb
Create the perfect center piece for any roast dinner with this luscious leg of lamb recipe.
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
12 hrs 10 mins
- Cook time: 45 mins
- Calories: 500
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsps tomato puree
- 15g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 30ml lemon juice
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 onions
- 3 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 beef stock cube
- ½ Pint water
- 150ml white wine
- 5g cornflour
- 1362g leg of lamb
Preheat the oven to 240°C (475°F, Gas 9)
- Peel & slice the garlic into thin sticks. Peel & quarter the onions.
- Cut a lattice pattern into the skin of the lamb and use the garlic slivers to spike the lamb.
- Mix the tomato puree with the flour, salt, lemon juice, and 4-5 crushed peppercorns. Brush the mixture onto the lamb and leave it to marinate in a cool place for 12 hours.
- Heat the oil in a roasting tin on the hob, seal the lamb and add the onions and half the prepared stock.
- Roast the lamb on the bottom shelf of the preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to moderately hot (200°C, 400°F, gas 6) and roast the meat for a further 40 minutes, basting frequently with the roasting juices and gradually adding the wine and the remaining stock.
- At the end of the cooking time, turn off the oven, transfer the lamb to a plate and leave it to stand in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dissolve the cornflour in a little water. Then in a small saucepan, dilute the roasting juices with a little hot water and thicken with the cornflour mixture to use as a gravy.
|Fruit & Veg||0.8|
WLR has an extensive range of low-fat and low calorie recipes to help you follow a healthy, balanced diet. Try it free for 24 hours.