Rhubarb Crumble, Crunch and Spiced, 3 Lower Calorie Recipes
By WLR Foodie Laurence Beeken
Prep time 10 mins | serves 4 | 205 calories per serving
- 1lb/454g Rhubarb, Raw, Average
- 5oz/140g Strawberries, Fresh, Raw, Average
- 2 Tbsps/24g Sugar, Caster, Average
- ½ Tsp/1.5g Cinnamon, Ground, Average
- 2oz/56g Flour, Wholemeal, Plain, Asda
- 2oz/56g Oats, Average
- 2 ozs/56g Spread, Low Fat, Average
1. Preheat oven to 180c (350°F, Gas Mark 4).
2. Wash & slice the rhubarb.
3. Toss the rhubarb with the strawberries , sugar, cinnamon and orange juice. Tip into a 2pt (1.2L) dish.
4. Make the crumble. Combine the flour and oats in a bowl and mix in the low fat spread.
5. Sprinkle the crumble over the fruit.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Crunchy Rhubarb Dessert
Prep time 10 mins | serves 4 | 240 calories per serving
- 450 g Rhubarb, Raw, Average
- 45 ml Water, Mineral Or Tap
- 50 g Breakfast Cereal, Corn Flakes, Kellogg's*
- 4 Tbsp/80g Syrup, Golden, Average
- 50 g Breakfast Cereal, Porridge Oats, Quaker*
- 1 Tsp/2g Lemon, Peel, Raw
- 50 g Butter, Reduced Fat, Fresh, Average
- 3 Tsp/15g Sugar, Half Spoon Granuated, with Sweeteners, Silver Spoon*
- Preheat oven to 190°C/ Gas mark 5
- Wash and cut the rhubarb into chunks and place in an ovenproof dish. Add the water and sprinkle over the sugar.
- In a pan, gently warm the syrup and margarine. Add the cornflakes and the porridge oats along with the rind of one lemon.
- Spoon the mixture over the rhubarb and bake for around 40 minutes, or until crisp. Covering towards the end of cooking time if necessary.
- Serve warm.
Spiced Rhubarb and Custard
Prep time 5 mins | serves 4 | 161 calories per serving
- 400 g Rhubarb, Raw, Average
- 1 Tsp/2g Ginger, Ground, Average
- 1 Tbsp/6g Oranges, Peel, Raw
- 1 Tsp/3g Cinnamon, Powder
- 100g Sugar, Caster, Average
- 4 Serving/120g Custard, Fresh, Thick & Creamy, BGTY, Sainsbury's*
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C.
- Remove any leaves from the rhubarb, wash and trim the ends. Chop into 1 inch chunks.
- Mix together the juice and zest of one orange, sugar, cinnamon and the ginger.
- Add the rhubarb to the mixture and stir well until coated.
- Place in an ovenproof dish, cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes until soft.
- Serve with a spoonful of warmed custard.