Purple Sprouting Broccoli Gratin
As a seasonal winter veg, this purple sprouting broccoli gratin is quick and simple the make. Serve up with a crispy green salad, but don't forget to add the calories!
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Calories: 413
- 1250g purple sprouting broccoli
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 56g plain flour
- 500ml semi-skimmed milk
- 5g salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp chilli powder
- 224g low fat cheese
- 227g breadcrumbs
- 15g salted butter
- 56g parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsps fresh parsley
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas Mark 4).
- Peel and slice the garlic. Trim off any hard ends from the broccoli stalks as well as any very coarse leaves. Grate the cheeses.
- Steam the broccoli until al dente (4-6 minutes). Drain well and set aside.
- In small saucepan gently saute the garlic and onions in 2 tablespoons oil, over a low heat, for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour onto the onion mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes without browning.
- Gradually whisk the milk into the onion mixture and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, add a pinch of each ground nutmeg and chilli powder and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the grated cheddar cheese and remove from heat. Combine with broccoli. Transfer to casserole dish or oven proof baking pan.
- Combine the bread crumbs and parsley and sprinkle on top of broccoli mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until thoroughly heated through.
|Fruit & Veg||3.2|
You'll find 100s more low calorie recipes inside WLR, along with our massive food database and diary. Try it free for 24 hours.