Purple Sprouting Broccoli Gratin
By WLR's Food Information Executive, Laurence Beeken
Prep time 20 mins | serves 6 | 413 calories per serving
- 1250g/2lb 12oz Purple Sprouting Broccoli 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 56g/2oz plain flour
- 500 ml/18fl oz semi skimmed milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch each ground nutmeg and chilli powder
- 227g/8oz low fat cheese (grated)
- 227g/8oz bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 56g/2oz Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 3 tablespoons fresh, chopped parsley ( or 1 tablespoon dried)
- Peel and slice the garlic. Trim off any hard ends from the broccoli stalks as well as any very coarse leaves. Grate the cheeses.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas Mark 4)
- Steam the broccoli until al dente (4-6 minutes). Drain well and set aside.
- In small saucepan gently saute the garlic and onions in 2 tablespoons oil, over a low heat, for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour onto the onion mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes without browning.
- Gradually whisk the milk into the onion mixture and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, add a pinch of each ground nutmeg and chilli powder and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the grated cheddar cheese and remove from heat. Combine with broccoli. Transfer to casserole dish or oven proof baking pan.
- Combine the bread crumbs and parsley and sprinkle on top of broccoli mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until thoroughly heated through.