Ginger Spiced Pumpkin Soup
By Tracey Walton wlr team
This spicy pumpkin soup is surprisingly robust and filling considering it's so low calorie. The recipe is made without cream (it really doesn't need it) which makes it low fat, healthy and vegan friendly.
We don't often cook with fresh pumpkin in the UK, so take advantage and give it a go when you need one to cut a Halloween lantern. Alternatively, try another member of the squash family and make the soup in the same way.
This is an easy recipe, and while the pumpkin might need a bit of energy to prepare, you don't need to worry about cutting the flesh up perfectly, no one will know or care once it's cooked!
- Recipe makes: 6 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 45 mins
- Calories: 86
- 1 fresh pumpkin
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried ginger
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp dried cumin
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp clear honey
- Start by cutting the top off your pumpkin then scoop out all the seeds with a spoon.
- Using a small sharp knife, extract as much of the pumpkin flesh as you can. You should end up with around 750g but it doesn't matter if it isn't too accurate.
- Chop up the pumpkin flesh into cubes (about large dice size).
- Peel & finely chop the onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a big pan and gently fry the onions until soft (do not colour) - about 5 mins.
- Stir in the ginger, chilli and cumin and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin then cook on gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile make your stock with boiling water to 1 pint and stir in the honey.
- Pour the stock over the pumkin and spices. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 30-35 minutes until the pumpkin is soft. Give the soup a stir occasionally and turn down the heat if it starts to stick.
- Puree with a hand blender and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with some fresh, wholemeal seedy or granary bread.
This soup will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days and it freezes well.
|Fruit & Veg||2.2|
WLR has an extensive range of low-fat and low calorie recipes to help you follow a healthy, balanced diet. Try it free for 24 hours.