Plum & Basil Torte
By WLR's Food Information Executive, Laurence Beeken
Prep time 1 hour | serves 4 | 333 calories per serving
||Extra Virgin Olive Oil
||Golden Caster Sugar
||Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas Mark 4).
Chop the basil finely.
Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper (parchment).
Stone and quarter the plums.
Cut the butter into 1cm (½ in) cubes
- Mix the flour, 2oz of the butter cubes and basil together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (a food processor is excellent here if you have one). Then add just enough olive oil to bring the mixture together to form a dough.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Roll the dough out into a 18cm/7in circle.
- Place the pastry onto the lined baking tray gently scrunch the edges of the pastry to form a case. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- When the pastry case has chilled, arrange the plum quarters in the middle of the pastry circle. Sprinkle the sugar over and arrange the remainder of the cubed butter on top.
- Transfer to the oven to bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the pastry is cooked and the plums are tender.