Steamed Mussels with Chilli
By wlr Nutritionist Rosie Bourne
A quick and easy, low carb mussel recipe with a kick. Indulge in the array of flavours in this wonderful dish.
- Recipe makes: 2 servings
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 5 mins
- Calories: 301
- 500g mussels
- 4 garlic cloves
- 15g root ginger
- 1 tbsp chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp Sake rice wine
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 red chillies
- 3 spring onions
- 3 tbsp groundnut oil
- Scrub the mussels clean. Discard any mussels that don't close when tapped gently.
- Set up a steamer or put a rack into a wok or deep pan and fill it with 5cm/2in of water. Bring the water to the boil over a high heat.
- Place the mussels on a plate, then place into a steamer.
- Turn the heat to low so the water is barely simmering and cover the wok or pan tightly.
- Steam gently for five minutes or until the mussels begin to open.
- Meanwhile, combine all the sauce ingredients, except the oil, in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat a wok or large frying-pan over high heat. When hot, add the oil, and then pour the hot oil over the sauce ingredients.
- Remove the mussels from the steamer. Discard any mussels that haven't opened.
- Stir the sauce then pour over the mussels.
- Garnish with fresh coriander sprigs and serve at once.
|Fruit & Veg||0.9|
WLR has an extensive range of low-fat and low calorie recipes to help you follow a healthy, balanced diet. Try it free for 24 hours.