Traditional Lancashire Hot Pot
- 2lb/908g Potatoes, White, Raw, Weighed with Skin, Flesh Only, Average
- ¼ Tsp/1.3g Salt, Table, Average
- ¼ Tsp/0.5g Pepper, Black, Freshly Ground, Average
- 1 Tbsp/15ml Oil, Vegetable, Average
- 2lb/908g Lamb, Chops, Average
- 250g Kidney, Lamb, Raw, Average
- 1 Med/180g Onions, Raw, Average
- ½ Tsp/0.6g Thyme, Dried, Ground, Average
- 2 Cubes/14g Stock Cubes, Beef
- 1 Pint/568.3ml Water, Mineral Or Tap
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas Mark 4)
- Peel and slice the potatoes into rings. Put half of the rings in a layer on the bottom of a deep ovenproof casserole dish. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Add the chops and kidneys and brown quickly on all sides. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.
- Lay the chops and kidneys on top of the potatoes, add the onion and sprinkle with the thyme. Pour in the hot stock. Put the remaining potatoes in a layer on top.
- Season again, cover with a lid and place in the oven. Cook for 2 hours, then remove the lid and return to the oven to brown the top layer of potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes.
Serve immediately, straight from the casserole, with a seasonal green vegetable or buttered carrots.